Getting to know South Bend
Location and Population
South Bend is located in St. Joseph County in North Central Indiana, just 10 miles south of the Indiana- Michigan state line, on the St. Joseph River, which flows north to Lake Michigan. The combined area of Northern Indiana and Southwest lower Michigan is commonly called the "Michiana area" by the locals. Go to maps.google.com for a map.
- 96 miles east of Chicago
- 138 miles north of Indianapolis
- 26 miles from Lake Michigan and a beautiful beach
- 4th largest county in the state, 4th largest city in the state
- South Bend has a population of approximately 108,000 and St Joseph County has a population of approximately 265,000
- In addition to South Bend, other communities in greater St. Joseph County include Mishawaka, Granger and Notre Dame
- Telephone Area Code: 574
- Time Zone: Eastern Standard year round
- South Bend Tribune
- Four full seasons with January being the coldest month (average temperature 24 degrees) and July being the warmest (average temperature 84 degrees) with a temperature range from zero to the upper 90's. For current weather click here.
- Annual total precipitation of 36.5 inches
- Check out SouthBend.com and downtownsouthbend.com for an extensive listing of local events, places to live, places to worship, schools, local attractions and much more.
- East Race Waterway:
Welcome to the East Race Waterway - the first artificial whitewater course in North America and one of only six in the world.
- College Football Hall of Fame:
The College Football Hall of Fame is dedicated to mobilizing the constructive forces of amateur football for the benefit of society as a whole.
- Potawatomi Zoo:
Entertaining and educating more than 200,000 visitors every year, the Potawatomi Zoo is the oldest zoo in Indiana, and celebrated its l00th anniversary in 2001.
- Coveleski Regional Baseball stadium:
Home of the South Bend Silver Hawks, an Arizona Diamondbacks minor league team
- Morris Performing Arts Center:
The Morris Performing Arts Center, located in the heart of downtown South Bend, Indiana, is today the home of the Broadway Theatre League, the South Bend Symphony Orchestra, and the Southold Dance Theater.
- Studebaker National Museum:
Fantastic Collection of 114 years of Studebaker history.
- South Bend Regional Museum of Art:
The South Bend Regional Museum of Art, in South Bend, Indiana provides art exhibitions, art education, studio art classes and outreach events for the regional community.
- South Bend Chocolate Company and Chocolate Cafe:
Home made chocolate, coffee and food.
- Several public and private golf courses
- Numerous parks and lakes nearby, with plenty of summer and winter recreational activities available. - Such as canoeing, kayaking, water and snow skiing.
- Tabor Hill:
Located in Lake Michigan's wine country. Produces a range of dry, semi-dry, sparkling and dessert wines and alcohol-free sparkling fruit juices. Open to visitors.
- University of Notre Dame
Some of the most affordable! Average home price $100,000 Rental options and opportunities to purchase
Schools and Universities
- South Bend Community School Corporation
- School City of Mishawaka
- Penn-Harris-Madison School Corporation
- University of Notre Dame
- Holy Cross College
- Saint Mary's College
- Indiana University South Bend
- Bethel College
- Ivy Tech State College
- Brown Mackie College
- Indiana Wesleyan University
- Southwest Michigan College
- Andrews University
- Indiana Tech